Set Square

BluesCon wrote:

Hi

I have a Baxi Bermuda boiler and, after it has been on for about an
hour, the bathroom radiator has been getting very hot. It is the only
radiator without a thermostat.
I turn the thermostat, mounted on the boiler, down to LOW but still
the radiators are too hot.
There are no other problems with the system and the temporary solution
is just to switch the heating off for a while till things cool down.
There is no knocking sound to indicate a faulty pump etc.

I'm guessing that the boiler thermostat is faulty. Is there any way
that I can test it? Is it easy to replace?

thanks for your help
Nigel

Is there a room thermostat, mounted on a wall, somewhere? If not, there
should be - to turn the whole lot off when all rooms are up to temperature.

If the boiler stat is working, it should cycle the burner on and off every
few minutes - unless the weather's so cold that the boiler needs to run flat
out to keep up. The best way to check it is to measure the temperature of
the water flowing out of the boiler. This is best done using a non-contact
IR thermometer, pointed at the outlet pipe. This should be somewhere between
70 and 80 degC depending on the thermostat setting.

If the boiler stat *is* faulty, it's not *too* difficult to replace. You
need first to remove the gas fire, in order to get at the boiler controls.
You can *probably* replace the stat without disconnecting the boiler
controls and sliding them out from under the heat exchanger - I can't
remember exactly since it's a long time since I owned one. The thermostat
assembly is a little box with a knob and a couple of electrical
connections - and a capillary tube with a bulb on the end, which has to be
inserted into a pocket at the top of the heat exchanger.
--
Cheers,
Set Square