Doug Miller

In article , (Doug) wrote:
I'm putting together a oak table top. Typically one would dimension a
piece of wood by jointing one edge, then ripping the other edge,
parallel, on the TS. My concern is that I don't get the same quality
surface by ripping then I do by jointing.

If you're getting a better quality surface from the jointer, then you need to
check the alignment of your table saw, clean your blade, refine your
technique, get a better blade, get a better fence, get a better saw, or some
combination of the above.

This will, in essence, give
me one less-than perfect edge for each joint when I go to glue up the
top. Should I add one last step by running the just-ripped edge
through the jointer, giving me two jointed edges?

You mean, giving you two less-than-perfect edges. :-)

I'm planning to do
this, it seems like the best option, I'm just concerned that by
jointing both edges I might not get the perfect parallel edges that I
would with the first plan. I'm I making myself clear?

A good rip blade on a properly aligned table saw leaves a better edge for
gluing than a jointer does.

It's right to be concerned about the jointer leaving non-parallel edges, but
if (a) the jointer is properly set up, (b) the edges are parallel coming off
the table saw, and (c) you take a light cut on the jointer, then you don't
really need to worry. If it's off, it won't be by more than a few hairs.

--
Regards,