Brian Mahaney

On 17 Oct 2004 16:04:02 -0700, Doug wrote:

I'm putting together a oak table top. Typically one would dimension a
piece of wood by jointing one edge, then ripping the other edge,
parallel, on the TS. My concern is that I don't get the same quality
surface by ripping then I do by jointing. This will, in essence, give
me one less-than perfect edge for each joint when I go to glue up the
top. Should I add one last step by running the just-ripped edge
through the jointer, giving me two jointed edges? I'm planning to do
this, it seems like the best option, I'm just concerned that by
jointing both edges I might not get the perfect parallel edges that I
would with the first plan. I'm I making myself clear?
Thanks for any assistance.

Ok, here is how I do it. First, my glue-up is intentionally oversized. I
will cut the final size and make sure it is square once I am finished. I
joint the one edge and rip to width just as you describe. Yes, there is
one edge that is rougher. At some point I run everything through the
thickness planer to make sure they are the same thickness. Now, I take
each mating edge and run them through the jointer at the same time. That
way, any minor diversion from 90 degrees on my jointer will not be a
problem. Whatever the real angle, the mating surfaces will have
complementary angles. Therefore, the boards will lay flat. I do not
concern myself with the edges ending up exactly parallel at this point.
Why? Because, as I mentioned, I will do my final sizing and squaring after
the glue-up is complete.

Brian