Greg G

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:19:24 -0500, bentley wolfe
wrote:

Good idea. Of course, that's one of the reaosns I don't buy cordless
tools.... ;0

To each his own, I guess, but I think the convenience of having a
cordless drill far outweighs the downside. I have a few dozen
screwdrivers, but I scarcely use them anymore. Once you remove the
need for outlets and extension cords, driving screws by hand really
seems tedious.

I bought my first cordless drill 6 years ago for about $100. The
batteries just died this year. I found a set of two new batteries for
about $50. I'd have hated to throw out the drill, but even buying an
entirely new one would have been worth the 5+ years of convenience I
bought for $100.

I don't often see pro contractors using cordless stuff (although they
do ask to borrow mine "for a few minutes"), which makes sense, as they
tend to work continuously for many hours at a time in the same area. A
corded screwgun is probably better suited to that kind of work. But
for the homeowner/weekend handyman like me, it's a big slice of heaven
to be able to grab a cordless and go right to work.

I now have two cordless drills. When I have a bigger task that
involves drilling as well as driving screws, I take them both out: A
truly lovely experience.

Greg Guarino