David

Seems like you are someone looking for an accident. There are enough
problems with router bits coming out of collets without inviting trouble
by "adapting" a drill bit for router use ("mis-use" is more
appropriate). Is the drill bit rated to turn at the high speed
developed by your router? Are you fully insured (medical and life)?

A Delta Drill Press is more than adequate for most home usage, and won't
break the bank. Model 17-965 is a good one.

David

Carlos Moreno wrote:

I'm working on something that requires a hole at an exact
position and *perfectly perpendicular* to the wood's surface.

This would normally require a press drill. Except I don't
have a press drill. My arsenal of power tools is limited to
a regular drill, a circular saw, and a router (with plunge
base + fixed base).

So, I'm thinking I could use the router in its plunge base
to "simulate" a press drill. The problem is, I have to open
a hole in a piece of wood which is 3 inches deep. I have
no router bits that long.

Is there a way to adapt drill bits (for which the shank is
slightly below 3/8 -- but a lot more than 1/4) to the
router? I think I could easily accomplish the task if I
could do that.

If it's definitely not possible, can you think of some other
trick that could do it in this case? (I don't want to rush
my decision to get a press drill -- when I get it, I want
to have time enough to shop around and take a good decision
without any hurry)

Thanks for any advice!

Carlos