J. Clarke

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:28:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

FWIW, resist the temptation to get one of the cheap Luxo lookalikes that
Home Depot and the like sell.

I'm in the UK. Parts backup on a _genuine_ Luxo is non-existent. Get
a real 1930's Anglepoise and pretend you're Norman Bel Geddes !

Didn't mean to seem to be putting down Anglepoise--should have said "genuine
Luxo or Anglepoise" and you can add Dacor to the mix as well. I recall
rows of lamps with the distinctive Anglepoise ballast in the drafting
department at Hamilton-Standard in the early '80s. Probably have been
there since the '30s.

My comment was directed at the Taiwanese knockoffs that go for about a
quarter the price.

(I went to see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow last week)

I liked that movie. The cover of every pulp SF magazine of the Golden Age
brought to life. I suspect from the comments at IMDB that the younger
generation doesn't appreciate it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)