Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
.. .

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Arthur
writes
I've never owned or..I think..eaten chips made in one
of these new fangled Chip Fryers'.
Leaving aside aspects of health and life expectancy.

Your advice is requested on these.
How does the Chip Fryer fried chip compare to;

a) The chippy chip? Must be better..surely!

b) The chips our mams made in a frying pan in days of yore?

Doesn't it all boil down to what the chips are fried in ?

Some oils have a lower boiling temperature and so don't crisp off the
chips

What you cook them in affects the flavour. How you cook them affects the
crispness. Chips should be twice fried for the best results. About 6-7
minutes at 170C, followed by about 3 minutes at 190C, depending on how
brown you want them. The lower start temperature avoids sealing the
surface, which, by trapping moisture inside, produces soggy chips.

Spot on.

I don't know of any oil which doesn't reach 190 - some might nat be GOOD at
that heat but they'll all reach it.

Mary

Colin Bignell