patriarch

Phil Hansen wrote in
:

Last year I got a Record Bailey 3 from a pawn shop in the nearest city.
Paid R50 ($7.5) for it. The assistant asked why I wanted an obsolete
piece of junk. "everybody uses power these days". replied that it was
still an extremely usefull tool and a lot still use them.
Went in on Friday, they had a Stanley handyman 12-020 and a Bohmer (sp).
They wanted R500 ($75) for them. 900% in a year? Bet they stay there for
a long time. Can buy a new Stanley Handyman here for about R250
There must be some serious suckers out there

There's a Stanley Handyman on my tools shelf, but only for sentimental
reasons. It's the first handplane I swiped from my father's toolbox.

Well sharpened, it's OK for softwoods, if accuracy isn't too much of a
requirement.

There's a whole PhD dissertation to be written on the psycho-economics of
pawn shop pricing, but not this morning. I'm exhausted from reading
Keeter's Shop Snippets...

Patriarch,
who's certain that one is born every minute...