Chet Hayes

"SQLit" wrote in message news:qFicd.104773$a85.101937@fed1read04...
"Blackdogs" wrote in message
om...
Our source of domestic water is a spring. There is a pump enclosed in
a pump house and it operates on 220V. I want to install a filter
system that uses a clock (110V) to control backflushing of the
limestone filter. My problem is, the power to the pumphouse consists
of two hots and a ground, no neutral. What I want to know is, can I
use one of those step down transformers to get 110V to operate the
clock? As near as I can determine from websites describing the
transformers, they are made to be used with 220V european (or
elsewhere in the world) power. Those voltages are a single hot with
respect to ground while US 220V is what it is, with each hot at 220V
with respect to the other hot. Can I use one of these transformers
with US 220V input? I can't see much of any other option rather than
replacing the wiring to the pumphouse which would be beaucoup
expensive (underground wiring) given the distance. Any help is
appreciated.

There are clocks that work on 220-240 volts. I have used them a lot on
swimming pools.

Back feeding the European transformer will limit the amount of current
available. IE 220 in and 120 out. They are not made to work that way. Also
a lot of European 220 is 50 hz which will not work with a clock motor
looking for 60hz.
Call the filter manufacture and ask for an 220 volt model. Or an conversion
for the one you have.

The frequency is not an issue. Apparently he has a clock motor, where
the only problem is it needs 110, rather than the 220V which is
available to run it. Any transformer that works at 50hz will work at
60hz for this application. Whatever frequency he puts in, that is
what will come out.

Nor should current be an issue, since he's only running a clock.
That's exactly the small kind of load these international converters
are intended to run.

---