George

Weakness there is that the end may pull away from the top. Thus the
advantage of dovetail or tongue pinned through elongated holes.

On 2004-10-16, D. J. Dorn wrote:

I'm building a Shaker Chest of Drawers and want to put breadboards on

the
ends of the top

The method my first woodworking instructor taught us was to use
biscuits: Cut a series of mating biscuit slots in the top and the
breadboard end. Glue the biscuits into the top, but on the breadboard
only put glue in one biscuit slot. No glue on the edges, of course.
Then the breadboard is fixed at one point, and the rest of it is free
to expand or contract. The biscuits should keep the two pieces
aligned vertically. Biscuit slots are designed to alow a bit of
lateral movement, so you shouldn't even have to elongated the slots.

However, it's been a couple years and I ended up not doing breadboard
ends, so I may have forgotten something. Perhaps someone else can let
us know if they have done it this way or whether it will work.

Cheers, Wayne