Chet Hayes

(Blackdogs) wrote in message . com...
Our source of domestic water is a spring. There is a pump enclosed in
a pump house and it operates on 220V. I want to install a filter
system that uses a clock (110V) to control backflushing of the
limestone filter. My problem is, the power to the pumphouse consists
of two hots and a ground, no neutral. What I want to know is, can I
use one of those step down transformers to get 110V to operate the
clock? As near as I can determine from websites describing the
transformers, they are made to be used with 220V european (or
elsewhere in the world) power. Those voltages are a single hot with
respect to ground while US 220V is what it is, with each hot at 220V
with respect to the other hot. Can I use one of these transformers
with US 220V input? I can't see much of any other option rather than
replacing the wiring to the pumphouse which would be beaucoup
expensive (underground wiring) given the distance. Any help is
appreciated.

The short answer is yes, the transformer has two wires coming in with
220 and 2 going out with 110, so physically it will work. As to
whether you can hook it up to be safe and pass code, that is another
question that I don't know the answer to, ie what kind of outlet,
plug, is it allowed to hook the particular clock device in via a plug,
etc.