John Hines

(Blackdogs) wrote:

Our source of domestic water is a spring. There is a pump enclosed in
a pump house and it operates on 220V. I want to install a filter
system that uses a clock (110V) to control backflushing of the
limestone filter. My problem is, the power to the pumphouse consists
of two hots and a ground, no neutral. What I want to know is, can I
use one of those step down transformers to get 110V to operate the
clock? As near as I can determine from websites describing the
transformers, they are made to be used with 220V european (or
elsewhere in the world) power. Those voltages are a single hot with
respect to ground while US 220V is what it is, with each hot at 220V
with respect to the other hot. Can I use one of these transformers
with US 220V input? I can't see much of any other option rather than
replacing the wiring to the pumphouse which would be beaucoup
expensive (underground wiring) given the distance. Any help is
appreciated.

http://www.allelectronics.com

about 20 different models of voltage converting transformers. Various
sizes, and prices.TC-100,TC-300,TC-500,TC-2000,TC-1300 etc, starting at
$20.