Ed Sirett

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 00:12:08 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:54:51 +0000, Peter wrote:

In the Gas Fitting FAQ below you will still that the use of a flexible
hose is deprecated (and almost impossible to install in a compliant manner
for the supply of an inset hob).
As of 20th November the loop hole which permitted the use of flexibles is
closed with a revision to BS 6172.
Also required is minimum 300mm of worktop on each side.
Forbidden is fitting 700mm (5 burner) hobs under 600mm gaps in wall
cupboards.

Thanks for that the 300mm is new on me I must confess, being registered and
being employed to fit new hobs as replacements I find that 90% fail as to
clearances in some respect so unable to fit new hob. The instructions with
the new appliances are very good as a rule but diy persons never read them.

The new stuff is in this month's "Gas Installer" comic.

Can't be arsed to dig mine out again but I do recall they _relaxed_ the
regs wrt the 50mm gap either side extending upwards, so now you can have
a 600mm wide hob below a 600mm wide gap in wall units.

Surely it never was OK to have a 700mm hob under a 600mm gap?

No; but it got done they are now stating explicitly it is wrong.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk