igor

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 02:53:29 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"igor" wrote in message

My safety concern is about the cut-offs getting jammed against the stop
that is 1" away from the far side of the blade.

Are the safety concerns real? Any clever jig ideas?
TIA. -- Igor

One thing to be concerned about is making it too easy. I don' t know the
best way to do it, but I do know you should avoid any method that can get
repetative where you can miss and cut yourself instead of the wood. Don't
get into a situation where you are pushing the material into the saw with
your left hand and bringing down the bladw with your right. Too easy to cut
too short and take off a finger. .

Very good point. Is this called psychodynamics? Well, there is some word
for it. I've not been in the military, but whenever I see a TV show or
movie where the sergeant says "right face" and one guy turns left, I say to
myself, "There but for ..." When I set up jigs, especially since the blade
guard has to be removed oftentimes, I try to create them so that the blade
is otherwise covered - of hard to get to, directly. When it is a ripping
jig, I also use a whole gang of Board Buddies so that, among other things,
there is pressure of the stock against the fence no matter how I use the
push stick to push the stock through at the end.

A thought on the RAS. Can you make a special table for it? If the stop was
at the top of the stock and the table allowed the parts to drop off the end
or into a hole they would clear as soon as the blade passed.

I had thought about that kind of setup and it is interesting to see that
you did too. Here is my concern: If I do a cut-off and there is no stop
block, the off-cut would tend to fall away from the blade -- "Timber".
Even if the stop for this jig hits the stock only at the very top, the
off-cut cannot fall away -- it either falls towards the blade of straight
down. Obviously, straight down is the hope. One thought would be to alter
this design and put a cross-piece on top of the stock - i.e., the cross
piece and the stop form an L. That way at least there is a guard. I even
have some plexiglass that might work.

Given enough time and money the solution is there.

I 'spose so. "My double latte, please. And don't forget the biscotti."
Thanks.