raden

In message , Paul C. Dickie
writes
In article , Jo
writes
My mate's central heating system needs to be flushed to get rid of a
build-up of sludge. British Gas came round and told him that although
his boiler is working fine, it is a bit on the old side and it might
be badly damaged when the system is flushed so it would make sense for
him to buy a new boiler. (If he buys the new boiler they will flush
his system for free, if he doesn't, it will cost £400 PLUS the cost of
a new boiler if it breaks during the operation.)

I guess my question is - is he being conned or is there a real chance
of this happening?

To answer this, ask yourself another question: do British Gas
"engineers" get a commission of at least 5% when they con a customer
into getting a new boiler? (Answer: yes, they do.)

Or, to put it another way: would you *really* trust an outfit advertised
by Ricky Tomlinson, an actor who is type-cast at playing somewhat shonky
scousers?

(NB: This does not imply -- and should not be taken to infer -- that no
Liverpudlian is honest. I'm sure there's an honest scouser, somewhere.)

You'd better ask Boris Johnson about that

--
geoff