Harvey Van Sickle

On 15 Oct 2004, Dave Liquorice wrote
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:05:14 GMT, raden wrote:

Thinking of the "magic roundabouts" near Swindon and
Hemelhempstead. Wonderful creations, spagehti junction is easier
to navigate.

What do you mean?
Simple - left round the outside, right round the inside
where's the problem ?

The problem is that going counter clock round a roundabout sounds
very loud alarm bells in any sensible driver. The first time I
encountered the Swindon, of which I had no fore knowledge, I was
badly thrown by suddenly finding my self going, apparently, the
wrong way round a roundabout.

Now I know the layout they aren't a problem but that first
encounter was horrendous. Decent road planning should not present
such "challanges".

I have to disgree, at least in the case of the Swindon one. (I love
the fact that they actually *did* call it the Magic Roundabout.)

I travel through it a couple of times per month, and whilst I still
have to work quite hard to understand the principle on paper -- or by
looking at the road sign -- I find that driving through it is extremely
straightfoward and clear.

It's not often that one encounters something that works better on the
ground that it does on paper.

--
Cheers,
Harvey