L. M. Rappaport

On 15 Oct 2004 18:38:52 GMT, DY (Tom) wrote (with
possible editing):

Here I go again! A properly insulated and ventilated attic and properly
installed roof system doesn't need any of that stuff. Building codes for your
area could possibly spec some type of underlayment to extend at least 3 feet
beyond the inside walls of the house, or even the entire deck. Depending on the
pitch, the sticky stuff can be dangerous enough for a roofer to walk on, moreso
with just a few nails holding it on. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Well, I respectfully disagree. If that were so, then ice dams
wouldn't form on unheated buildings and they do. Not being an expert,
I can only guess that it's got to do with the color of the roof, the
pitch and its direction, along with the amount of direct sunlight to
which the roof is exposed.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com