Edwin Pawlowski

"Fogbank" wrote in message

THe stand we have is a fairly tall one - taller than wide. The top
shelf is 29" wide by 19" deep, and it's about 36" high, on casters.

The shelf depth and caster location is important. Most of the weight of a
TV is in the fron. It is IMPORTANT that the TV be properly balanced on the
shelf. I recenly build a stand from oak and put casters that are hidden by a
skirt on the front. When I put my 186 pound TV on it, the stand was
unstable as the casters were mounted a few inche back from the front. It
could have easily tipped and I'm positive it would if one of the drawers
were pulled out to change the balance. .

I moved the casters up a bit and moved the TV back two inches. That fixed it
and I have no worries. The back sticks out over the top by a few inches and
that is OK is it is not rally visilble. It was designed to be that way as
the back enh has very little weight.

So - here are my questions:

1) How do I tell if it will be stable for a given size tv? Is it
sufficient that the base of the TV - the part that actually rests on
the stand - fits the top shelf, regardless of how much the rest of the
tv protrudes to sides or rear?

Hard to say until you put the TV on and check the balance. Remember that
50% of the weight is in the first few inches of the picture tube front.
Lower is better. IMO, many stands are too high. I build my own because I
wanted to have something practical, loks good and be easily moved to clean
around. I do woodworking so it was easy to do. I could have bought one for
$100 but instead I spent $130 for material and spent a couple of weekends
building it. It would probably sell for $500.

3) If we do stick with this stand, how could I anchor the tv to
prevent it from falling if a kid tugs on it? I have no problem with
anchoring the tv stand - I have furniture anchor straps. But that
won't help keep the tv on the stand, and I'm not sure how to fix a
strap to a tv without doing damage to the tv - ie drilling into it!

You could put an electrice fence aroud it. The best behaved kids can pull at
a TV to change the channel or something. You could drill intothe case on
the back or maybe wrap a strap around it and then secure the strap.