Joseph Meehan

rkpatt wrote:
I am helping a neighbor try to decide how to deal with some mold in
their attic . Apparently it is from condensation from poor ventilation
. She had additional blown-in insulation installed 3 years ago .I
have just observed that the soffit vents were covered ( unknown to
her ) and of course the insulation company is playing dumb so far but
she is pretty persistent . From a technical standpoint what should be
done as far as cleaning the wood , and removing the insulation etc.
-thanks ?

First step is to verify the type of mold. Most molds are a bother, but
not a danger. Unless you have one of the few that are dangerous, you can
basically just fix the cause and not worry about the rest, unless you have
someone with mold allergy problems like me. If it is found that it is the
dangerous stuff, then it is time to call in the pros. That can be serious
and if not professionally handled can be a real problem when the house is
sold.

Since it appears it was caused by the insulation company, I suggest they
should be responsible. You may want recommend your neighbor contact an
attorney. Chances are good that once they get the first letter from the
attorney they will become a lot more cooperative.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math