George E. Cawthon

Rolling Thunder wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:07:17 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Thanks I downloaded it. Then I thought why? I already have an scan of
my Try-square that I made when testing the focus of the scanner.
We'll see which prints out more accurately, scanners can introduce
subtle errors in size as well as printers.

Do scanners work like photocopiers? If so, there is a slight
reduction in size in the copy that needs to be adjusted for
accuracy.

Thunder

Of course or at least close enough. I think you are referring to a
copy function. But you don't have to use the copy function, just
scan. the result you get is of course a file which has nothing to do
with the size of anything. It is your soft ware and printer that will
determine how accurate the thing will be when you print it.

The paper ruler is just a scan of some ruler. I printed it and the
total length was indeed accurate, but using two different rules some
of the inch lines in the middle didn't line up. That suggests to me
that the ruler ws not flat on the scanner, or was imperfect.

I have tested my 99cent HF (3/4 by 16 feet) tape rule and found it
highly accurate compared to a Starrett Try-square. I could cut that
up and make a bunch of very accurate highly readable scales.

BTW, I have a Starrett that is marked as such and a second Try-square
which I think is a Starrett and looks exactly like my other
Try-square. It is marked on the non grooved side:

No. 23 The L.S.S. Co. No. 4
Athol, Mass. U.S.A

I am wondering if anyone can tell me where this old try-square fits
into the Starrett line and history, if it does. Thanks