Christopher Green

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:53:56 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"Christopher Green" wrote in message
. com...
"Scott Smith" wrote in message
Thanks FC.

Is the rated wattage (listed on each device) the "peak wattage"?

I know the typical lights/outlets split. What I am wondering is whether
there is any logic to whether/how my *outlets* should be split. For
instance, one of my laser printers is 11A, and another is 7.8A. (Per the
markings on the device.) Should I divide outlets logically into 20A
groupings?

Thanks again

Laser printers draw a lot of power to keep the fuser hot; those
nameplate markings may be peak draw while the fuser is heating. If
both are out of standby at the same time, you're at 18.8A, close to
the capacity of a 20A circuit. If you arrange your work so that only
one is active, while the other is on standby, you have some headroom,
but keeping laser printers on their own circuit is usually a good idea
for interference reasons anyway.

--
Chris Green

over. a breaker is supposed to be sized so that it shouldn't have more than
80% constant load.

Laser printers aren't anything close to a constant load. That peak
current draw is for 10-second or so warmups (big old printers and
color lasers take longer). If both come out of standby at the same
time, though, you're at capacity; if there's a computer on the same
circuit, down it goes. Been there, done that.

--
Chris Green