David W.

"Scott Smith" wrote in
:

Thanks FC.

Is the rated wattage (listed on each device) the "peak wattage"?

I know the typical lights/outlets split. What I am wondering is
whether there is any logic to whether/how my *outlets* should be
split. For instance, one of my laser printers is 11A, and another is
7.8A. (Per the markings on the device.) Should I divide outlets
logically into 20A groupings?

Thanks again

Last time I built a home office,I used a separate 20Amp circuit on each
wall of the room, and the lights were on a different circuit shared with
other rooms. I was planning on having several computers and laser printers,
plus the usual plethora of other small devices. It was probably overkill,
but since I had the breaker space and installed it all at once, it was easy
to do, and could handle anything I could throw at it. I also installed two
duplex outlets in each box, since offices (at least mine) usually have a
lot of things to plug in.

Standard sizing for circuits feeding wall outlets is either 15A or 20A. In
commercial buildings (including offices), 20A is pretty standard. In
residential, for example, kitchen outlets above counter (for appliances)
are usually 20A. In most houses, if you run 12ga wire, the distances are
short enough that pretty much any circuit will handle 20A. Make sure you
get 20A rated outlets.