John Rumm

Anthony Bowles wrote:

feel a humming through my finger tips. If ran my fingers across the
case they didn't so much as "glide" across it as "juddered". Anyway

I have experienced exactly the same phenomenon. It s probably the mains
getting capacitively coupled to the case work, possibly in combination
with a poor earth (for devices that are earthed).

Is power to your property fed by overhead cables? Have you tried
plugging it into a different mains socket (and all the things that it is
connected to like the TV, amp etc?

The feeling you get is unlikely to be dangerous in itself, but may serve
as a warning that the earth at that socket position is not as good as it
could be.

--
Cheers,

John.