Mark Hopkins

Next time you are at Highland Hardware, get Paul to show you the Oland Tool
setup. I bought one back in the summer and really like it. You don't need to
"sharpen" it, but just keep it "honed" really fine. It really made a
difference in the quality of my turnings that are not related to skill.
grin

I'm over in Stone Mountain. Where are you?

Greg G. wrote in message
Anonymous said:

Greg,
Here, FWIW, is my thinking on the matter. I bought a small utility grade
4-jaw and a small utility grade 3-jaw chuck. These, added to an internal
chuck meant to turn watch cases, a couple of screw chucks and a couple
face plates will be enough to learn what I am doing and also get a few
pieces off the lathe to sell to buy the fancier stuff as I figure out
what I need. As of this moment and subject to change without notice I
doubt if I will ever get another 4-jaw chuck and it will be a while
before I get much use out of the screw chucks / face plates. I DO use the
3-jaw chuck and a #2MT pen mandrel quite a bit.

Recently Woodcrafters had a 30% off sale on many of their Sorby tools. I
bought a doodly-whacker thingie for hollowing out things that works
pretty well and an oval skew that you can have when you pry my cold,
dead, fingers from it.

I think Sorby tools come under the general heading of "Priced way too
high ... but worth it." Good steel, good shape, good 'feel'. Sky-high
prices ("30% off" meant nearly $30 on the hollower) but I just can't
see $90 for a hand-held single point cutting tool. That said, keep an eye
out for one on sale ... IMHO it's well worth owning.

Thank for the info, Bill.

I saw the Woodcraft Sorby Sale at the local store, but didn't buy
anything as I did not have a lathe at that time. I have subsequently
gone to their web site, but no mention on whether the sale is still
ongoing - and I haven't called to ask. It's so darned far to drive
through heavy metro traffic that I'm hesitant to return. It could
easily cost me 3 hours of time that I can't afford to lose right now.

Greg G.