The Natural Philosopher

mike ring wrote:

"Set Square" wrote in
:

RT

From your original post, it appears that you've got a Y-plan system,
and that you've already replaced the 3-port valve - so we have to
assume that that isn't faulty.

I suppose that it *could* be wired wrongly - so that the valve always
thinks there is a CH demand even when there isn't.

It seems more likely to me that the whole system is *piped* wrongly.
Hot water should come from the boiler outlet, through the pump to the
inlet of the 3-port valve.
this fit the facts?

If this *is* the problem, you need to correct the pipework rather than
faffing about with additioanl valves.

I'd think the wiring has a good chance - if Miles copied the wiring, and
did a good job, he would have transferred the fault that pre-existed, and
it's a lot easier for an earlier DIYer to mess up the wiring than the
pipes.

Reeminds me of a bloke who asked me to look at his car - battery was
going flat.

I discovered some current drain with ignition off.

Fuse pulling seemed to indicate the circuit with the horn and a few
other bits in.

Then I noted his tootle trumpets, and a relay 'Oh, I fitted that - it
was a kit, you connect it to the horn push, the horn wire and the horn -
works fine' (deafening me with demonstration)

Of course the horn push conbncted to a relay contact, not the coil, and
the other side of the relay NO contact went to the horn and the relay
coil was wired across to earth, so the relay was permanetly on drawing
current, and the horn push operated the horn through the now permanently
closed contacts.

'oh, is that all it was' he said as he steadfastly refused to pay me for
my time and expertise.

******.

mike