Ken Moon

Greg G. wrote in message

SNIP ........
I notice that the aforementioned chuck tightens with a key rather than
tommy bars - is this really preferable, or is it a matter of personal
preference. I would assume that, as with a Jacobs chuck, you should
tighten several times around the chuck, rather than depending on one
tightening in one location.

========================
The newer design chucks (Super Nova, big Oneways and Axminsters, etc.) use a
key of some sort (varies by manufacturer), and this gives a much better
mechanical advantage than the tommy bar types. This allows a tighter grip on
the workpiece tenon insuring less chance of spontaneous departure of the
blank. Not as exciting, but leads to a better end product. It also allows
easier mounting of the blanks since you don't need the "third hand" that
often occurs with tommy bars. Some production turners prefer the tommy bars
since they are faster than the key tighteneing.

Yes, tightening at all points insures a better grip.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX