gary

I would also add that to rely on codes to be definitive would be a mistake.

I know of owners in Texas who built in communities using codes, but the
inspectors didn't inspect or "overlooked" discrepancies. If your
contract includes a requirement for "binding arbitration" demand that it
be stricken or find another builder. I personally know of more than one
individual who had code violations on their home, filed for arbitration
and the arbitrator said it wasn't "necessary" to bring the home to code
compliance. Some of the "home warranty" companies even have a clause in
their contract that specifically exempts them from repairing defect to
meet codes. Yet the owner when they sell will have to disclose it if
they are to be honest in the listing.

Gary