Harvey Van Sickle

On 15 Oct 2004, Christian McArdle wrote

(The piano tuner I use here in Basingstoke has a sideline in
reconditioned pianos; I'd be surprised if that's not the case
elsewhere.)

Roughly how much should it cost to have a piano tuned?

It's just gone up from £40 to £42 (it was done last week). I have it
done twice a year.

My mother's sounds like an East End knees-up and could do with a
bit of twiddling before Christmas.

If it's really out of tune, it'll probably need at least two tunings to
get it back into correct pitch. (Once to get it in fairly good tune;
then you let it slide back out for a couple of weeks and re-do it
again.)

As this is DIY, though, I should mention that many years ago I owned a
piano that was so bad -- couldn't hold a tune at all -- that I couldn't
find a tuner who was interested in dealing with it. I bought a tuning
wrench (called a tuning "hammer", I think -- I still have it), and at
least got the strings into relative tune with one another -- albeit a
half or full tone down from where it should have been tuned.

--
Cheers,
Harvey