Alan Sung

"Billy" wrote in message
The door manufacturers rep came by to look at the door and he said it is
racked between an 1/8" and 1/4". He believes this is causing the gap at

the
top. He says removing the door and leveling the sill will correct the

issue.

Does this sound feasible?

Have you put a level on the bottom of the door frame?
I would think that leveling a sill plate would be much harder than shimming
the door frame to be level and plumb. I would use the wide cedar shakes for
shimming the bottom rather than those 2" pine shim packs.
Removing a door frame can be done, but it is a pain and you may damage some
of the wood trying to get the nails out. If you nailed thru the jamb, then
try to use a flat pry bar between the door frame and the jack stud in order
to force the nail head out. If you nailed thru a brick-molding or flange,
then you might have to sacrifice that piece of wood. Sometimes people have
been successful with using a hacksaw blade behind the brick molding to cut
the nails

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA