Richard Porter

On 14 Oct 2004 Pete C wrote:

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Yuk (Mark Webb) wrote:

We had the area behind out house block paved last year. Whilst we
are generally pleased with the quality of work, we seem to have a
problem with the sand washing out of the joints in areas subject to
localised water action (around the drains or where condensation
drips off the facia boards). Is there anything I can use to lock
the sand in place without creating a look that is obviously
cement(ed) please?

Try running a dilute solution of PVA in the joints on a small area.

I'm wondering whether it's wise to seal up the joints. I recently moved
and realigned part of a block paved driveway which entailed relocating
the kerb at one side, moving the blocks across and then doing the kerb
at the other side. I didn't fill in the gaps between the blocks.

On the part that wasn't moved the rainwater just collects on top and
eventually runs off into a gulley or evaporates. On the relocated part
the water just runs down the gaps and soaks into the ground. This is
greatly preferable from an environmental point of view.

I did have a problem with sand disappearing around an inspection cover
but this was cured by regrouting the cover surround to block up the
holes. Ants bring up sand in various places, regardless of whether the
gaps are filled or not, but they just get zapped with Raid.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com