J T

Thu, Oct 14, 2004, 9:07pm (EDT-3)
(Never=A0Enough=A0Money) says:
snip Anyway, my logic is that $15 for a book will save numerous trips
to the library since I will consult the book any times over the next
umpteen years. At 32 cents per miile (including wear and tear) a trip to
the library would cost me approximately $1.60. So I'd break even after
ten saved trips. In this case (a reference book), buying could easily be
cheaper than the library... snip

My logic is, buy the book, you don't like it, you're stuck. Yeah,
I know, you can usually return a book, and get a refund, but that's
always a hassle, and you always wind up being a few $ in the hole
anyway. You go to the library, look at the book, thumb thru it, maybe
borrow it, then make up your mind if you want to pop for it or not. So
you pay a bit extra if you like the book - run some errands on the same
trip, you areen't even out the extra. But, if you don't want it, you're
only out the $1.60, at the most, anot not stuck with a book you don't
want.

I very, very, seldom buy a book without being able to thumb thru it
first. There are exceptions, but few, and far between, and never, ever,
of a book recommended to me by someone else - they don't have my tastes.
I don't think I've every kept any book given to me either. Most of my
home library was bought in used bookstores - usually from around $3-$5
each, as high as about $9 each, as low as $1 each (US dollars). I've
gotten a LOT of books that way, actually have more woodworking books
than my local, or county, librarys, better variety too. Heh heh.

I'm not overly thrilled with the thought of putting Bush back in
office. But, I'm a whole lot less thrilled with the thought of putting
Kerry in.

JOAT
Flush the Johns.
- seen on a bumper sticker