Pete C

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:16:39 GMT, "G"
wrote:

My mother has two doors in her house with missing or cracked glass.

They are old doors and it appears the rebates are a bit shallow for thick
glass.

Do we in fact need thick glass to be fitted, given that for safety we can
now use laminated, toughened, or film coated glass? To fit thicker glass
would mean replacing the doors.

Does it today need to be thicker to be strong enough not to break under its
own weight or something?

Hi,

What is the door made out of, can the rebates be increased?

Patterned glass has lower average thickness for a given nominal so
must weaker, plus any stress on the pane isn't evened out so much.

How about polycarbonate, or wired glass? Also toughened glass with a
safety film would prevent falling through the door if it broke.

Another factor with all these options is means of escape in a fire.

cheers,
Pete.