The Natural Philosopher

Default Mortar Mix

Michael McNeil wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

sw wrote:

Do you reckon 4:1 sand:cement mix is ok for the brickwork at
the back of a wood-burning fireplace?

Nothing works here execpt an iron fireback. Even bricks erode quite fast.

Wood doesn't burn very hot.

********. Come and see what it has done to my fireplace. The grates are
distortedt (cast irion) and the brickes behind have lost most of the
surface tio a depth of about 1/4" frim the massive heat input. Its not
wuite white hot, but I have had the fire heart well up to yellow hot.

Possibly you meant that teh flue gases aren't quite as hot as coal,
which is true. Coal can easily get hot enough to melt steel, but with
wood its takes a fair draught and a bit of doing.

In the end, tho, you are burnimg carbon.

You have to wait for the cement to cure
over a few day and I believe you start with a very small fire at first
to temper it. Not sure though.

The cement actually seems to be standing up better than the bricks...