Brian Sharrock

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , a
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

What's a gel fireplace?

You know those gel cadles you get? Think that scaled up to room

size.

Good Lord!

Really - how bizarre!? I must say I had never heard of them either until
that programme.

Basically what you had was 3 big gel candles underneath fake coals/logs
etc. in a fireplace. light the candles and flames flicker up through he
coals. No need for a flue of course

But doesn't the gel burn away ....

Yes!

and have to be replaced?

and expensively !

My wife and I are in the data-gathering phase of
"doing" the lounge. Extra power-outlets, data-cabling,
new carpet ... and a fire place . We've looked at gas fires,
electric fires and the gel-fires under discussion.
A fireplace retailer confessed that he'd installed one
in his own house; once he'd exhausted the box of
candles that 'came with the purchase' he'd never
bought another box ... his hand trembled every time he
went to light one ... £5 / hr ?

--

Brian