Mary Fisher

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
chris French wrote:

Basically what you had was 3 big gel candles underneath fake coals/logs
etc. in a fireplace. light the candles and flames flicker up through he
coals. No need for a flue of course

One Christmas I burned a large decorative candle over the
holiday. Afterwards I discovered to my horror that the entire
room had a permanent and irremovable layer of soot over its upper
half. Can't help but fear the same would happen here, or was I
just unlucky?

The candle was either in a draught or was 'over-wicked' - that is the wick
was too arge for the diameter of the candle.

Decorative candles aren't usually good candles in that there's almost always
a problem with the burning but usually they're under-wicked and either
gutter (dribble) or drown.

Mary

Chris