The Natural Philosopher

Paper2002AD wrote:

Regular readers will remember I broke my wrist back in August. Well, the
plaster just came off and now it hurts like hell! It appears that the tendons,
having been idle for alll that time, now have to start to earn their keep
again.

Suggestions for therapy? (Doc says use a squeeze-ball)

How long for getting back to normal? I've got some bricks I want to lay!

Its a bugger.

I don't think I ever broke my wrist, but many years ago I did something
to it, and peridically it would 'go' again and be unsueably agonising
for a week or two.

I mentioned it to a student doctor, and he stold me that the tissues
repair with scar tissue, which is inflexible, and that rips under stress.

He recommended that I keep the joint moving under low stress when it was
healing.

I practiced sort of rotating 'gay waves' - very limp wristed - the next
time, and it never came back.

So, just move it to the limit, till it hurts, and then relax. Don't
strain it, just stretch it and get it mobile in every direction you can.
Mobility is what you want, not amazing strength.

Think a squeeze ball is not best. IANOAD. Try talking with your hands as
on late night PC Beeb.