Jim Swank

I bought the small chuck from Penn State, trying to conserve $$. Big
mistake! I then bought a Oneway Talon chuck. You'd only regret the
Talon one time - when you paid for it.

There are other chucks with good reputations in the smaller size that
may be just as good. Axminster has a good rep. Try to avoid the ones
that use the tommy bars if you can.

Jim

Greg G. wrote:
Jim Swank said:

In that size range, and for a beginner, the 3/8 will be a better choice.
My first bowl gouge was a 3/8 Crown, and I've no regrets.

Thanks Jim! I thought as much, but wanted to make sure I wasn't
missing out on any "trade secrets". I looked at a Sorby fingernail
cut bowl gouge that I really like, but for $30 more, I'm not sure it's
"all that". I guess if I really get the urge, I could re-grind the
profile on the Crown.

I'm also looking at chucks - there are so many other things I don't
have it's hard to know where to start. I'm not ready to spend $200 on
a Oneway, but Highland Hardware has a small chuck with auxiliary jaws
for about $100 - I've heard nothing either good or bad about it. :-\

Greg G.