John Anderton

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:32:37 GMT, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

chris French wrote:

Basically what you had was 3 big gel candles underneath fake coals/logs
etc. in a fireplace. light the candles and flames flicker up through he
coals. No need for a flue of course

One Christmas I burned a large decorative candle over the
holiday. Afterwards I discovered to my horror that the entire
room had a permanent and irremovable layer of soot over its upper
half. Can't help but fear the same would happen here, or was I
just unlucky?

I sort of assume that since they're intended to be burnt over long
periods that they won't leave a residue on the walls etc. but I've no
personal experience. Then again, the same applies to candles so what
do I know :-)

I've seen these gel candles at various shows and they do look very
nice, my only concern was that they seemed very pricey (can't remember
exactly how much, ~£40 per 8 hours seems to spring to mind,but I'm not
sure if that was each or for all three) although I assume you can find
them cheaper at places other than posh shows/showrooms.

Still, if you want the look of real flame and have no flue then
they're a lot better than any of the gas/electric flame effect fires
I've seen,

Cheers,

John