PrecisionMachinisT

"John Keith" wrote in message
Ive had nothing but problems with the sears oil-less compressors, from
stress cracking of the compressor mounting platform on top the tank, to

the
cooling fans repeatedly exploding to cracked and broken piston rods and
damaged cylinder linings and the list just goes on and on........

Suggest avoid these at all costs--now you all been forwarned.

If I'm shopping for a used compressor how do I tell if it is an
oil-less one other than noting the noise (which I don't know how it
would compare to oil compressor)?

Look for an oil filler and drain plugs or dipstick--this is all basically
the same as lubricating the crank case and sealing the piston rings in your
car engine.

Usually, but not always, an oil-less units sales literature will tout
"oil-less" as though its some kind of a BIG advantage, and so its more than
likely gonna be mentioned in the items basic specifications.

Now for a small unit and with hobby use, the oil-less units might have one
possible advantage in that the air will have absolutely no oil in
it.....maybe an advantage for some painting tasks like airbrush and the
likes.

--

SVL