Al Reynolds

"MM" wrote:
wrote:
Let me stress that I am not defending the estate agent, merely
suggesting that you could cut off your nose to spite your face here.

Don't agree at all. One of our (many) problems in Britain is that we
never put things in writing, thinking a quick phone call will suffice.
But with nothing written down it's easy for the other party to claim
whatever they want to later on. It's a legal obligation as per the
Code of Practice and that's what the agent must comply with.

But not if you signed something in your contract with the estate
agent indicating that you only required written notification for
an offer which you are going to accept.

The legal obligation is:
By law you must tell clients as soon as is reasonably possible about
all offers that you receive at any time until contracts have been
exchanged ... unless the offer is an amount or type which the client
has specifically instructed you, in writing, not to pass on.

So if, in the contract with the agent, you indicated that offers of the
type "not going to be accepted" should not be passed on in writing,
then the agent won't pass these on in writing. The last time we sold
a house we had about seven offers notified by phone, but only the
one we accepted was notified in writing, because we had signed a
clause in the contract which made precisely this request.

Have you checked your contract?

Al