Phisherman

There are heavy duty hinges you can use. If you can't find them at
home-improvement centers, try a farmer's coop. A wheel will help
carry the weight--the kind you use will depend on the floor that it
will ride. A double door will need less room to open, but a single
door is a more simple design.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:34:52 -0400, "TheKidd" wrote:

I'm finishing off my basement.
In one area of the basement I have a small bump out in the foundation where
the front vestibule is built on.
We use the space for storage of Christmas decorations and that sort. I
thought it would be a cool idea to build a bookcase in front of the area
that would hide the storage but give us access via a secret door. The area
is 6'6" wide where the bookcase would be. I'm trying to figure out what
kind of hinge I could use in order to have the bookcase swing out and gain
access to the storage.
I think what I'd do to lessen the weight is to split the bookcase into 2
doors that swing out. Probably also put wheels of some type under the
bookcases to help in moving the doors as well as taking some of the weight
off the hinges.
Still, I haven't a clue as to what to use. Most of the hinges I've seen are
for normal doors. I thought of using black pipe attached to the bookcase
somehow and then figuring out some type of attachment that had a bearing
mounted at each end going to the floor and ceiling but HD or Lowes doesn't
have anything that I can put together.

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever attempted doing something like
this and had recommendations?