Ziggur

In article ,
says...

Thanks for these two replies which realy clear it up for me.

One thing remains: I see Pilkington makes 4.1mm patterned AND toughened
glass, made by rolling the pattern into the glass. Is this going to make the
glass too thin in the thinner parts of the pattern to be safe in a door
sized sheet?
Or: Is patterned glass of the same nominal thickness normally considered
weaker than the equivalent plain? And: If toughened is this an issue anyway
in this size sheet.

Good question.

The pattern is embossed onto the normal thickness and therefore the
finished product has bits which are thinner. The manufacturers do not
produce all available textures in the toughened product because some deep
patterns leave pretty thin areas. The short answer is that textured
toughened glass is not as impact resistant for a given thickness as plain
glass.

The good news - if you buy textured toughened glass in the UK it would be
very unusual for it not to carry the BS6206 kitemark and it will
therefore be safe in your door. (Unless Dave P tries to drill a hole in
the corner with his DeWalt SDS!)

Regards
--
Ziggur