mikegi

Default Help! Wallpaper removal has become a disaster...

My wife decided to remove the wallpaper in one bedroom and so she could
paint the wall. The paper was put up five years ago on top of painted
drywall. Over the years, the paper started coming up at the seams and she
glued it back down. Now, after removing the wallpaper, the glued spots
remain. When I scrape off a glue spot, it pulls up the top layer on the
drywall, leaving a brown area. I've tried sanding the spots down with an
electric sander but it isn't going well. I now have a multilevel wall: the
original paint, glue spots, original drywall surface, and brown drywall. A
disaster.

I'm looking for ideas (other than burning down the house and starting over).
I've read about the Zinsser GARDZ and wonder if I can paint it on top of
everything then smooth out the worst areas with drywall compound?

Help!

Mike