"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Ziggur wrote:
The "Safety" designation is not that toughened glass will not break but
that, IF it does, it will break into tiny pieces which will not seriously
cut rather than into dangerous shards

However, toughened glass is *vastly* stronger than ordinary (or laminated)
under most circumstances - hence its name.

Thanks for these two replies which realy clear it up for me.

One thing remains: I see Pilkington makes 4.1mm patterned AND toughened
glass, made by rolling the pattern into the glass. Is this going to make the
glass too thin in the thinner parts of the pattern to be safe in a door
sized sheet?
Or: Is patterned glass of the same nominal thickness normally considered
weaker than the equivalent plain? And: If toughened is this an issue anyway
in this size sheet.

A friend of mine had his house attacked once by youths throwing bricks at
his windows, toughened glass - they bounced off. Equally I once stored some
toughened double glazing units in my shed on edge - one of them got stressed
on the edge and "went" - crazed all over. Now I know to store it flat.

Thanks.