andrewpreece

"Wainscotting" wrote in message
When heating is on it takes an age to draw hot water. The diaphragm is new
so what else could be the cause? The boiler is about 15-20 years old
(VWSine).

I'm no expert but I've an idea what it is. It's a 242 right? There is a
valve/actuator thingy fairly central behind the panel. There is a pressure
activated lever emerging from it, which should actuate a red microswitch
within a few seconds, but it takes ages on knackered actuators, and you can
watch this lever arm inching slowly towards the microswitch. You won't get
hot water until it activates the microswitch, I suspect you're waiting 30-45
seconds for water? Sorry not to be technically accurate, others may give
a better explanationj, but have a look with the panel off, identify the
actuator/lever/microswitch assembly then get someone to turn on the hot tap
and see how long it takes to work. Solution? Probably get a new atuator
assembly, it may be all corroded/scaled up anyway.

PS. If you search for uk.d-i-y on Google ( search for 'Google groups' using
the options provided on Google's page ) you will get the uk.d-i-y archive,
and youcan search within this for more info on this problem, it has come up
within the last year at least once I believe.

Andy.