Adrian

Set Square wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Hi
I seem to have continual problems with some of my LV halogens. I have
them all over the flat but a set of eight seeming to be continually
blowing. I have replaced the transformers and the lights but five have
just blown again, and its usually the transformer that goes. The
ceiling void should be large enough as its about a foot. I dont
have any problems with any lights on the same circuit just these
ones. Is it possible that there is an earth leak, and if so how would
I test? The ceiling is plaster board without any access panels so I
can only gain access through the light fittings.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Adrian

What wattage are the lamps? What wattage are the transformers? What type of
transformer are they - electronic or wire wound? How many lamps per
transformer? What gauge of cable connects the lamps to the transformers? Are
any of the lamps very close to joists or other structural members?

It sounds as if the transformer is overloaded. Your answers to the questions
above may help to determine whether that is the case. If you have a large
number of low wattage lamps connected to a single electronic transformer,
you need to down-rate the transformer by quite a lot. Maybe this hasn't been
done? [e.g. a 210 watt transformer is fine for 4 x 50 watt lamps - but not
for 10 x 20 watt lamps]

Each halogen bulb is 50watts. Each bulb has its own electronic
transformer which is fully dimmable, min load 20w max load 60w.
None of the lamps if close to a structural beam.
I'm not sure of the guage, standard lighting flex, easily capable of
carrying a decent ampage.