patriarch

"L Anthony Johnson" wrote in
t:

snip

Essentially, if the 2 1/4 horse power can handle the crown modling
bit, I would perfer to purchase the 895. If it can't, then the 7518
will have to do. More power, sigh. I don't ANTICIPATE having to do
anything more strenuous with the router than creating the crown
molding.

How much of this do you want to do?

What wood?

Do you have a table saw, with dado stack, to 'hog out' any portion of the
profile, before taking it to the router table?

If it were me, I'd go with the bigger router, for a couple of reasons:

* The 7518 has more horsepower, even if you are considering 'router
horses' here.

* The 7518 has been in production for a lot longer.

* The 7518 uses more metal in its important parts.

* The 89x series has been reported to have bearing heating issues, for
what may be good and valid engineering reasons.

* You are going to be asking a router to do what, in production runs,
would almost certainly be done on a molding cutter, such as a W&H, or,
perhaps, a shaper, with an induction motor (bigger 'horses', higher
expected duty cycle). Get the biggest router you can, and try not to over
stress it.

What's special about these mouldings that you want to do them yourself?

Patriarch