Jamie

If you don't use a hammer drill on brick, you will melt the bit in about 30
seconds. You may be able to get through the mortar, but if it's old and is
easily drilled, then it probably isn't going to be a very secure foundation
for lag shields.

I would rent a hammer drill and put your lags into the brick rather than the
mortar.

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Timo" wrote in message
I want to drill six holes with a 3/8" masonry bit, to set some lag

screws
in
the mortar in a brick wall. I'd also like to widen two holes in a steel

bike
rack; they are a few mm. smaller than 1/2" in diameter and I want to

make
them 1/2". Since I don't do this sort of thing very often, I don't want

buy more drill than I need to. I have a small Black & Decker drill for
around the house. I'd be grateful for suggestions on make/model ... an
inexpensive drill with enough power to do these tasks. Not a problem if

it
takes one drill longer than another to drill into masonry and steel; I

just
don't want to burn it out.
Thanks
Timo

Harbor Freight for the masonry bits. Your drill will work just slow

---