Alan

"Nigel M" wrote in message
I want to set up a 12v lighting system in a outbuilding, possibly with a
12v battery to be topped up by a solar cell. The system will need to
provide light for a 4m x 4m room, for an hour or so a day.

Anybody got any suggestions?

I've done a similar thing in a rented council garage with no mains power. I
originally used 3x 50w 12v bulbs but these were pretty dim and drank power.
Current consumption was over 12 amps.

So, I swapped these out for cheap 20w CFL's (similar to 100w tungsten each
apparently) and used a cheap mains inverter from maplins to power them.
Result = far more light and far less power drain.
I modified the inverter to extend the on/off switch to an extrenal wall
mounted light switch. It's powered from a 65ah leisure battery and a solar
panel bought on ebay - can't remember power rating but about 1'x3' in size.
Panel is fitted to garage roof and system has been operational for over a
year so far with no problems. Inverter based lighting system has added
bounus of low current mains in garage for small tools or radio etc.

Alan.