"G" wrote in message
My mother has two doors in her house with missing or cracked glass.

They are old doors and it appears the rebates are a bit shallow for thick
glass.

Do we in fact need thick glass to be fitted, given that for safety we can
now use laminated, toughened, or film coated glass? To fit thicker glass
would mean replacing the doors.

Does it today need to be thicker to be strong enough not to break under
its own weight or something?

Or are all the safety glasses intrinsically thicker?

My Mother has been told by her usual builder that plain glass is OK
thinner where obscure is not. Is this because it can be thinner for the
same strength? Or is patterend intrinsically thicker?

Having now read more about this, it eappears what we have is old doors with
rebates for 4mm glass. Can I now purchase patterned 4mm glass of a safe kind
(toughened or Laminated or filmed) and use it in these doors. If not
patterned, can I use4mm plain glass of a safety glass kind?

I see Pilkington do make patterned toughened 4.4mm glass, for example. The
question is, is 4/4.1mm thick enough or is it just going to break? The pane
in one door is pretty much the full size of the door minus about a 4" all
round frame. The other door has a dividing bar down the middle, but is full
height.